Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Farewell To The Garden Mascot



After five years of faithful service as Lord of The Learning Garden's Patio, the inscrutable and ever alert Casey died yesterday losing the fight with a tumor in his spleen.

Those that knew him, recall him as a feisty force to reckon with; like all Scottish Terriers he did not suffer fools gladly and if he didn't know you, he was pretty sure you were one of them. An abused rescue when he came to us, over time we watched him turn into a little butter ball who accepted the love and adoration of all who came around. Everyone who knew Casey is grateful for Carol Herd and the work of all Scottish Rescue volunteers. Carol was the one who went to the pound east towards the City of Industry (sorry, I don't remember the actual city) and found our little fellow there in pitiful condition, hair so matted he had to be shaved with an additional diagnosis of kidney stones. She had to make the call to spend the money to save him, or put him down. Our success story is entirely dependent on Carol's compassion and choice of that day.

Carol, from the first meeting with him could see that he had a neurological problem: Casey was born with Cerebellar Abiotrophy (CA), a population of Scottish Terriers that has gotten alarmingly large in the past few decades. The Scottish Terrier Clubs of America have funded research into the problem. The dogs are affectionately called Wobbly Scotties with their own website. An old photo of Casey is on page three of their website.

In practice, this meant that Casey walked with a wobble, had difficulty running (his back legs would refuse to run at the same pace as his front legs which made some amusing acrobatics) but he could trot straight as an arrow. His condition worsened under stress, so we did everything to keep his stress level down. With the tumor taking over his body, his control over his limbs was severely diminished and added to the challenges he faced over the last few weeks.

He fought the tumor with all he was worth dying peacefully yesterday afternoon in my arms. Of all the things he wanted, he wanted to be near his 'puppy pile' and it was the job of the humans around him to be the puppy pile. He could be put on a lap with a pad on his back and serve as a writing desk, or a reading desk with a book. He would sigh that particular 'satisfied dog' sigh that so warmed my heart.

Many stories are told by Learning Garden volunteers who came to the Garden Patio and not finding me there, would ask Casey "Where's David?" and Casey would look out to the Garden to where I was. He did keep good track on me at all times.

The Garden will not be the same without him. Known by many aliases (among them: Killer, Butterbutt, Magellan, Compost King, Happiness, da Puppy and Love Muffin), he will always be remembered for his loyalty and devotion to me and his huge presence that was way bigger than his 25 pounds.

He was my big, beautiful dog in so many ways and I will miss him more than I can describe.

david

11 comments:

  1. Hi David,

    I'm so sorry to hear that Casey has gone away. I only met him a couple of times but he was certainly a charming pooch and a dog's dog.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about Casey, what a good little doggie.
    Bonnie@acupunctureRN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pain is felt all across the scottie nation...

    ReplyDelete
  4. David,

    Sorry for your loss. May you meet up again one day.

    John Simpson

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am grateful for all the support and help I have gotten from so many people in this time. He was a truly wonderful companion, although I understand that Scotties often die of cancer. We believe he was thirteen and the last five years were spent with me and the whole one acre Learning Garden to look after - enough to keep even a non-wobbly Scottie busy!

    It's been two weeks and I still think, "Omigosh, I've forgot my dog!" or "I have to get home for Casey!" - afterall, if he's not with me he MUST be at home. It's just gonna take a lot of time.

    But thank you all!

    david

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi There

    We recently lost our beloved 17 year old scottie Bucca to leukemia and are still feeling her loss so our hearts go out to you on your loss of Casey. Bucca was a mellow girl but very strong willed and also fought hard. it sounds like Casey was an awesome dog and very loved too. Please accept our condolences on your loss.

    Tim And Gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please accept our most sincere condolences on the passing of your beloved Casey. Your loss is felt by many, we know well how hard letting our little companions go is.
    Kind regards from Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your loss of Casey. I lost my best Scottie buddy, Jack, to liver failure on Oct 7 at the age of 12 1/2. I know your pain well, but hoping we all find comfort in knowing that our fur babies were well loved and had great lives. And, for every one lost here, another angel is added to watch over us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa, my heart sighs for your loss. I have a new Scottie, Tre', (that's Gaelic for '3' and he is my third Scottie, very young for a rescue dog). But Casey's photo is near the bed and I often wake up and talk to him about things. I love my new dog, who is a real sweetheart, but I miss my old guy an awful lot still. I suppose time will help a lot, but Casey still has a huge spot in my heart.

    I'm sure Jack was well loved too. Casey didn't come to me until he was about 8 and we only had about 5 years together, but it was a major improvement in his life and he showed his gratitude in many ways. Gosh, I really do miss him.

    david

    ReplyDelete
  10. My most sincere condolences. I never thought I would love a dog more than when my Scottie came into my life and heart. I am glad his last 5 years were with you and that he was loved so much. I know he will always be in your heart. These little Scotties sure get in there and never leave. I never thought I would follow a breed or love one so much. I feel your pain and your loss...it is such a wonderful community. God bless.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Carla... it's been nearly three years and your email allowed me to revisit this post. I welled up with tears to see the photo and the words I had written - the memory is still powerful right beneath the surface. I have Tre' now, a perfectly wonderful Scottie with an amazing personality. But that does not negate, nor even impinge on the tremendous love I have for Casey to this day. Scotties are my breed too. Thank you for writing.

    david

    ReplyDelete